Back to All Events

Tax Notice

All businesses. Give annual information statements (Form 1099s) to recipients of certain payments you made during 2018. Payments that are covered include (1) compensation for workers who are not considered employees; (2) dividends and other corporate distributions; (3) interest; (4) medical and health care payments; (5) rents; (6) royalties; (7) profit-sharing distributions; (8) retirement plan distributions; (9) original issue discounts; (10) prizes and awards; (11) cash payments for fish to anyone in the trade or business of catching fish; (12) debt cancellations (treated as payment to debtor); (13) payments of Indian gaming profits to tribal members; and (14) cash payments over $10,000. There are different forms for different types of payments.


Employers. Give your employees their copies of Form W-2 for 2018.


For nonpayroll taxes, file Form 945 to report income tax withheld for 2018 on all nonpayroll items, such as back-up withholding and withholding on pensions, annuities, and IRAs.


For Social Security, Medicare, and withheld income tax, file Form 941 for the fourth quarter of 2018. Deposit or pay any undeposited tax. If your tax liability is less than $2,500, you can pay it with the return. If you deposited the tax for the quarter in full and on time, you have until February 11 to file the return.


For federal unemployment tax, file Form 940 for 2018. If your undeposited tax is $500 or less, you can either pay it with your return or deposit it. If it is more than $500, you must deposit it. However, if you already deposited the tax for the year in full and on time, you have until February 11 to file the return.